Posted by: Alyssa Fanz on Monday, June 5, 2017 at 12:00:00 am Comments (0)
Summer is right around the corner and that means hotter temperatures and plenty of sunshine. Summertime is a time of fun and relaxation for most people who can endure the heat and participate in outdoor activities. However, the senior population and young children are more at risk if they do not take the proper precautions in summer. Listed below are some simple tips for anyone to follow to prevent heat stroke and dehydration. Following these tips will ensure a safe and happy summer!
1. Stay Hydrated: Be sure to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. The daily average is eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Do not forget to pack water with you on longer walks and drives.
2. Talk to your Doctor: Make sure your medications will not be affected by higher temperatures. Monitor your health and if you have any issues, go see a doctor for proper treatment.
3. Stay in touch: Keep in touch with family and friends and have their number handy if on a walk or drive. Let a close family member or friend know that you will be outside for an extended amount of time or on a drive in case of an emergency.
4. Wear protective clothing: While in the sun, wear sunglasses, hats, and light clothing to protect your skin and help you feel more comfortable. Do not forget to apply sunscreen to avoid sunburn.
5. Stay outside for limited time: Be cautious of how much time you spend in the sun. It is easy to lose track when enjoying the outdoors. If you exercise regularly, take your walk in the early morning or evening when the sun is not as strong.